Runners depend on Runners

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Joey Warner on November 21, 2004 at 20:08:54:

The Turkey Ten Miler is a very good event. It is a major test for any runner because 10 miles is a challenging long distance run. Brent Ward did an outstanding job as Race Director and all of the volunteers were very supportive as Athena has already acknowkledged.

I have completed 11 Turkey Ten Milers and the most inspiring thing that takes place in my mind and spirit every time during this race is the communication with fellow runners on the way back home.

I try to set a plan to give it heck for five miles and rely on the change of direction at the turn-around to change gears emotionally, physically and mentally. The fact is that the legs have to keep stepping and sometimes this is a difficult task. Miles 5 through 7 are a huge confidence builder because opposing runners become teammates that provide an unreal amount of supportive encouragement. Cheering one another on is part of our sport because it helps everyone. Most of us lack the energy to do backflips and wave pom poms as we run but shouts and smiles are truly a service that we all should reserve for each other. It is that extra work that pays dividends in our strive to keep going because it is positive interaction from our heart to our mind and then to our teammates. We pay for it when the band quits playing but it is worth the effort.

The encouragement I received from so many runners yesterday was so inspiring. I thank everyone even if we just made eye contact. High Fives help also but new muscle-man runner Joseph Spears Jr. almost knocked me down with his high-five slap yesterday and I must admit; that will wake you up also! I had an experience at the Charity Run when I was shouting to Justin Parker periodically to keep pushin' and I even found the competitive spirit to cry out to a couple of runners that were 10 meters in front of me. After the race, a runner from North Carolina that outlasted me on the kick, told me that he was not going to get beat by a cheerleader. Oh Well! So be it. If we ever meet again then he will get more of the same and then a whole lot more. Maybe even the Notre Dame Victory March or Rockne's famous halftime chant. Hey Ricky Leonard-ND will upset USC on Saturday.

We have to create something on that lonely road that builds enthusiasm and destroys the monotony. Normal converstion in the early going is ok to get acquainted but too much verbal usage will defitely waste energy. Sometimes we just get too bottled up and absorb too much of the same rhythm.

Mile 8 is when the work starts in the ten mile race. We feel like the Tanner Williams course is flat because the overall visual appears to be but there are some inclines that cause a disturbance in our ability to drive forward more rapidly as we keep waiting for that final turn. Another thing about this course is that we have to find ourselves because nothing is out there to occupy our focus. The therapy of contemplation is demanding on Wilmer Road although it is an excellent route.

Yesterday, I used the process of elimination to conquer each mile and I kept thinking about Wyman Hamilton and how far back he might be. I never showed the fear of looking back because if I was on his hook he would have snagged me and reeled me in. It was my race to lose and I was not sure if he was creeping in like he has done many times so I created a scenario that I was prepared to deal with if it occured. I felt like Wyman was going to catch me at the turn and abuse me with a kick to the clock.

I was never sure and not voluntarily conseravtive but I was prepared for it.

God deserves the Glory for allowing my victory at the Turkey Ten Miler. As good as it feels in the flesh to run a satisfying race we have to understand that God grants us the ability to run. He gives us all that we have in a gift to run and we are thankful to Him for it.

The "Fruits of the Spirit" are present before, during and after our daily run and it is our job to sort out what order to welcome these facts in our comprehension and reception of the process.

GALATIANS 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

RUNWINUCAN
Joey Warner

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL: