Help!

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Annette Porter-Ham on November 23, 2004 at 07:08:20:

I am writing to share with all of you a little about what I am going through right now. As runners, I expect that you will understand my feelings.
About five years ago, I began experiencing intermittent lower back pain. At times, it would be so bad I couldn’t function, but the majority of the time, I was able to continue my normal routines. I would train and work out through the pain. This has been pretty much routine for me for a very long time. (About six months ago, I had an MRI that showed a bulging disc at L4-L5)

On the morning of the Senior Bowl Run, I noticed a sharp pain when I leaned over to tie my shoe. It was like a lightening bolt had struck me. Well, I toughed it out once again and ran the race. I was in a lot of pain but, I ran anyway. For the rest of that day I worked on the house I am building and tried function the pain was so severe and so different from what I had experienced in the past. I did not have muscle spasms like before.... only the nerve pain. (Like a lightening bolt through my hips and sometimes into my right leg.) I had another MRI last week which revealed a massive herniated disc where it was previously bulging at L4-L5. The herniated portion of the disc measures 10mm. I am terrified now because my Doctor (Todd Volkman) has suggested that I have the disc removed. (Laminotomy and Microdiscectomy) I have researched this procedure and there seems to be very inconclusive data on the success. I had an epidural block on yesterday, however, I haven’t gotten much relief.

My fear is that the surgery won’t help or may even worsen my symptoms. I have heard so many horror stories about back surgery.

I love to run. I love the races. I love my friends. I ran the Turkey Ten on Saturday in so much pain. I wanted to run it so badly. Unbelievably, it is less painful while I’m running that sitting in this chair now posting this note. I fear this. I cannot stand the thought of not having my running and biking. I teach aerobics at the Y. I love my life.

I ask you, please, if you can share any personal experience with back surgery. I need encouragement. I have cried for days. I’m scared. If not, be thankful that you been have given health. I need your prayers and your support!!

Thanks,
Annette Porter-Ham

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL: