Nurse Lynn's free advice...

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by lynn allin on November 26, 2004 at 18:58:14:

In Reply to: The request of my diagnosis answered posted by athena lopez on November 25, 2004 at 12:21:33:

Hey chickie!
Did they do the whole thing laparoscopically, namely, do you have a couple little holes, or a big scar?
If it is the former, you will be running again next week. Your doctor won't tell you that, and I am not advising it, but you can do it. I ran two weeks after donating a kidney, so that was three holes and 4 inch incision, and an organ somewhat more useful than an appendix. If you are going crazy and wondering if you will run again, the answer is yes...and soon.

Some stuff to consider:
-you heal slower on the inside than on the outside. Be nice to yourself.
-listen to your body. If it says POTATO, then by all means eat one. I was/am vegetarian and suddenly I had massive cravings for bacon. So, I ate some for a couple days, with white bread of all weird things, and just as suddenly, the craving was gone.
-this would have been a bigger threat if your appendix had ruptured, but you need to watch for peritonitis: an inflammation of the gut linings. Call your MD right away if you have rebound tenderness, fever, bloating of your abdomen, nausea, vomiting or if your heartrate is fast (without any reason).
-no sex, no heavy lifting until your MD clears you, probably 2-4 weeks...and he/she would probably include running in that category, but runners don't need no stinking rules.

Glad to hear you are feeling better...Now we can fatten you up with ice cream!

Lynn
BA, BSc, BSN RN (one semester to go!)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL: