How to get your butt kicked, and STILL have fun!

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Jon Adams on July 20, 2006 at 08:38:57:

....For those who couldn't make it to the all-comers meet at St Pauls last night (HaRummmph!...Bombers & Bomberettes, where were you!?)...you missed a great time.
I managed to run the 3000 meter, thinking I could squeak out a win over Marty.....after all, he DID finally get his hair cut off (ie: Sampson?). That was not to be as he passed me around 600 meters and never looked back.

After recovering just a bit, it was time for the 4x400. I was eyeing the competition in the other lanes and noticed that I would be running against a youngster in the lane next to me (2nd leg)....some kid who looked like he was into Soccer or something!
Chris started us off and put us in the lead......aHa!...a piece of cake at this point (or so I thought!). I took the baton from Chris and TOOK OFF....I was flying! (at least it felt like I was.) As I neared the end of my first hundred meters I felt a good tailwind...uh, no it wasn't a tailwind, it was the "Soccer Kid" flying by me like I was standing still!!
I struggled to make up some ground on him and reel him in....no luck.
I DID manage to close a "little" bit over the final 100 meters, but not enough to catch him....I was just a lump of lactic acid at this point.

Nothing like some youthful speed to put us "old Farts" in our rightful place!! (LOL!!)

I hope to see more of our running community out at our future "all-comers" meets. They ARE a lot of fun....something for everyone.....and a great grass roots running project to boot!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: